The recycling and composting continues to improve each year, which is great to see and fun to be part of. Here is a summary of the type of help needed to help keep the recycling and composting successful:
- Help prep and place the recycling containers for recycling before the Fair begins. If you have a pick-up truck, please bring it! You will get extra thanks and appreciation!!!
- Walk the fairgrounds and check that the materials (cardboard, bottles) are being correctly left out for the grounds crew to pick up in the mornings for recycling (evening is a good time to get things prepped for the morning collection);
- Morning help is needed to collect recycling (7 amsharp) and compost produce waste before the Fair opens atnoon;
- Help is needed on the last weekend to give ribbons and awards to vendors who do an outstanding job recycling, and to take photos;
- Educate fairgoers at the recycling and composting exhibit area;
- Help with general cleanup/recycling on Mondayafter the Fair closes.
In exchange, volunteers receive passes to the Fair, some great compost for your garden, the good feeling of seeing about 20% of the Fair’s waste stream get diverted to recycling and composting, and the fun of seeing people of all ages and walks of life participate in the recycling effort. Volunteers who work 8 hours or more are invited to an appreciation luncheon a few weeks after the Fair ends.
We will meet under the grandstand and take care of setting up the recycling bins and exhibits. Your help will be needed for the following tasks:
- Placing 5-6 clear bags into each wheeled cart;
- Place the wheeled carts and recycling bins strategically around the Fairgrounds;
- Harvest and bag compost from the bins into bags or containers to give away at the Fair;
- Set up exhibits - composting, recycling, ssrc
At this meeting, passes to the Fair will be provided. We will have pizza delivered for those interested in having "dinner" while (or after) we work. We will also set up the volunteer schedule then.
Location Grandstand, last Rt 3A entrance coming from 139